This document is a scorecard for Community, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Recommendations presented at MIT during the period 2010-2017. During that time, at least 9 major sets of recommendations were released from groups spanning faculty, staff, students and alumni.
The 2015 recommendations of the Black Students’ Union and Black Graduate Student Association are widely known; many of the others are not or have received little attention.
This scorecard provides an overall completion rate for progress on the 177 recommendations collected from 9 reports or documents. It is not a complete listing of all accomplishments relative to the recommendations. Instead, it is a brief summary of the status of each recommendation, enabling easy assessment of progress.
The scoring was done by Ed Bertschinger with input from many others, and he takes sole responsibility for any errors. The scoring is subjective and is based on the experience of the ICEO and advisors working closely with groups affected by the recommendations.
With few exceptions, each recommendation receives a 0, 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 or 1 for no progress (0) up to full implementation (1). If every recommendation receives a score 1, then the overall score will be 100%.
The scorecard aims to have enough detail to justify the scoring to a “reasonable person” standard.
Many groups have invested substantial efforts in writing recommendations to make MIT more equitable, inclusive, and a thriving diverse community.
We hope that by showing where progress has been made, and where it has not, MIT community members will be better informed to foster positive changes. Collective awareness and collective action will help make a better MIT.
Last updated 6/24/2018. Updates and corrections should be provided to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Hammond Report||Women Faculty||ICEO Report||BSU||BGSA||BAMIT
|% Completed||30%||35%||46% average
Total recommendations: 177
Average completion rate: 39%
The reports that were reviewed are listed here with their scorecards.
- Report on the Initiative for Faculty Race and Diversity (2010 Hammond Report) – Scorecard
- Report on the Status of Women Faculty in the Schools of Science and Engineering at MIT, 2011 – Scorecard
- ICEO: Advancing a Respectful and Caring Community: Learning by Doing at MIT, 2015 – Scorecard
- BSU Recommendations, 2015 – Scorecard
- BGSA Recommendations, 2015 – Scorecard
- BAMIT Platform for Diversity and the Black Experience at MIT, 2015 – Scorecard
- Recommendations of LGTBQ + Students and Communities at MIT, 2016 – Scorecard
- Report on the Status of Undergraduate Women at MIT, 2016 – Scorecard
- Recommendations from DUE (OME, UAAP/SDS)/DSL (OMP, LBGTQ)/ODGE Staff, 2016 – Scorecard